An extraordinary weekend starts with an extraordinary breakfast. That is why I like to prepare mouthwatering, but yet simple breakfasts like this one. I have been trying out different waffle recipes, but none of them was perfect enough until I tried this one. It requires simple ingredients that everyone has at their home, but the result is astonishing and will amaze your loved ones. And If you combine it with this delicious homemade chocolate sauce, you can avoid adding a few extra calories, the store-bought chocolate spreads have.
FOR THE WAFFLES
- 1 cup whole-grain rye flour
- 1/2 cup white all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- pinch of salt
FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 tbsp of peanut butter
- 2 tbsp of liquid honey
- 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein
- 1 tbsp of cocoa powder
- (OPTIONAL: few drops of vanilla extract, pinch of salt)
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix the eggs, the buttermilk, and the oil in another bowl with a whisk, and add them in the bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Mix until well combined.
- Heat and grease your waffle maker, fill it with the batter, and close it.
- Bake for 3-5 minutes. Then repeat the procedure with the rest of the batter.
- Mix the whey protein, cocoa powder, honey, and the peanut butter. Mix until well combined. Add a few tablespoons of boiling water if needed.
- Spread the sauce on the waffles, add the toppings (fresh fruit, nuts) and dust them with some powdered sugar.
ENJOY YOUR SWEET MASTERPIECE!